Job Title: Supply Chain Manager
Reports to: Plant Manager
Number of Direct Reports: 5
Key Internal Partners: Operations, Purchasing, Quality, Distribution, Corporate Supply Chain, Corporate Supply Planning
Key External Partners: Arnold, CH Robinson, Excel Fruit,
The Supply Chain Manager is responsible for assuring the development of the production plan, the scheduling and the logistics of the plant. They ensure appropriate raw material and packaging inventories, and manage shipping, receiving and production materials delivery activities, on-site and external warehousing, finished product sorting, and waste management.
Job Responsibilities & Tasks:
- Actively participate as a member of the plant’s core leadership and steering team.
- Act as the supply chain representative of the plant management team to support and execute plant initiatives, including SQF, HACCP, and food defense programs.
- Make recommendations and manage projects to meet evolving business needs and improve efficiency.
- Manage the plant Supply Chain team
- Ensure safe work practices
- Establish and manage the plant supply chain department budget.
- Define and report on Key Performance Indicators for the department.
- Ensure proper implementation, training, and adherence to established procedures, GMPs, and employee safety practices.
- Participate in recruitment of team members
- Establish work schedules and effectively manage team member activities
- Oversee the production plan. Manage and report plan changes as necessary.
- Develop the short-term production plan based on the global demand plan in collaboration with the Plant Director and US Production Planner.
- Ensure that demand planning needs are met by creating, updating and disseminating the production plan to the Plant Director and other departments.
- Establish a manufacturing schedule that fulfils demand planning orders, while optimizing operational efficiencies and product cost.
- Collaborate with operations and other departments to accommodate industrial trials.
- Organize and manage receiving activities, raw material and finished product storage and shipment of finished goods.
- Manage raw apple quality and mellowing activities. Ensure processes are in place to minimize losses. Ensure appropriate apple blends are defined in partnership with the R&D department.
- Oversee activities related to management of internal raw materials, semi-finished goods and packaging in the plant.
- Manage priority shipments and sorting for the supply planning group.
- Ensures consistent application of FIFO principles to maintain a proper stock rotation.
- Champions the process for managing non-conforming material.
- Coordinate the business transactions and relationships with 3PL warehouses.
- Site expert for ERP (production plan, manufacturing schedule, inventory, and shipments).
- Monitor ERP and ensure compliance with IT procedures
- Ensure the physical and computer match of the inventories in the VIF ERP system.
- Coordinate the periodic and annual physical inventories in Materne warehouses. Ensure completion of weekly cycle counts.
- Own the forklift programs for the plant
- Oversee the management and maintenance of all forklifts in collaboration with vendor.
- Own the process for forklift operator certification and training for the plant.
- Oversee the activities related to finished product sorting and waste management for the plant.
- Develop and maintain KPI tracking metrics to monitor performance and ensure budget attainment.
- All other duties as assigned
Key Performance Indicator (KPI):
- Weekly/Monthly manufacturing order (MO) attainment
- Weekly/Monthly tonnage produced compared to tonnage targets
- Inventory cycle-count
- Apple inventory levels
- Warehouse capacities
- Sorting productivity
- Bachelor’s degree in Supply Chain, Operations Management or other related field.
- 8+ years as a logistics/supply chain leader in a manufacturing environment.
- Food industry experience is highly preferred
- Demonstrated ability to meet operational goals while also fostering a positive work environment.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and develop Supervisors to be effective in their roles and responsibilities.
- Strong commitment to employee safety and food safety.
- Ability to understand technical processes and value streams.
- Must have the ability to synthesize complex data in order to identify opportunities for improvement.
- Strong interpersonal communication, leadership, training and coaching skills.
- Ability to navigate difficult personnel challenges effectively.
- Ability to work collaboratively both internally and externally.
- Ability to lead thru influence and gain buy-in from others.
- Must be able to adapt in a rapidly changing environment.
- Must be able to understand how the various business departments work together in order to effectively manage projects.
- Must have a passion for being on the production floor and being actively involved in supply chain and production operations at the ground level.
- Must have solid written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong computer skills (MS Office, ERP systems)
PHYSICAL & TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS
- Must be able work in normal office conditions and in the manufacturing plant.
- Must be able to work a minimum of 8 hours per day and be on his/her feet for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to travel within the US and internationally via commercial airline on an infrequent basis.
- Must be able to wear PPE